Online learning is the future of education, and it is happening right now all around us. eLearning, m-learning, distance education; all of these technologies are providing access to information and skills that were previously available only to a select few. Now, industry leaders, workforce development managers and educators of all types are discovering the vast promise that eLearning holds for the future of training delivery, and education in general.
Here are some notable quotes by leaders in the field of workforce development, training and technology describing their views on the future of online learning:
- “The students of the future will demand the learning support that is appropriate for their situation or context. Nothing more, nothing less. And they want it at the moment the need arises. Not sooner, not later. Mobile devices will be a key technology to providing that learning support.” Dr. Marcus Specht, Professor of Advanced Learning Technologies, Open University of Netherlands.
- “Online learning is rapidly becoming one of the most cost-effective ways to educate the world’s rapidly expanding workforce.” Jack Messman, former CEO at Novell, Cambridge Technology Partners, Union Pacific Resources, Somerset House Corp.
- “You can’t teach people everything they need to know. The best you can do is position them where they can find what they need to know when they need to know it.” Seymour Papert, MIT mathematician, educator, computer scientist.
- “In times where small instructor-led classrooms tend to be the exception, electronic learning solutions can offer more collaboration and interaction with experts and peers, as well as a higher success rate than the live alternative.” Keith Bachman, Corporate eLearning Executive, W.R. Hambrecht and Assoc.
- “Gamification aims to inspire deeper, more engaged relationships and to change behavior, but it needs to be implemented thoughtfully. Most attempts at gamification currently miss the mark, but successful and sustainable gamification can convert customers into fans, turn work into fun, or make learning a joy. The potential is enormous.” Brian Burke, Gartner Group VP of Research and author of Gamify – How Gamification Motivates People to do Extraordinary Things
- “Instructional designers need to run, not walk, away from classroom-based thinking and get to the point of providing short, quick business-focused learning points that are easily accessible when and where our learners need them. This means leveraging new technologies to deliver non-traditional instruction.” Karl M. Kapp, Professor of Instructional Technology, Bloomsburg University.
- “If you want to teach people a new way of thinking, don’t bother trying to teach them. Instead, give them a tool, the use of which will lead to new ways of thinking.” R. Buckminster Fuller, author, inventor, architect, futurist.
- “Training developers need to integrate technology seamlessly into the curriculum instead of viewing it as an add-on, an after-thought, or an event.” Heidi Hayes Jacobs, Executive Director of the Curriculum Mapping Institute, author, educator.
- “There can be infinite uses of the computer and of new technology [in training], but if the instructors themselves are not able to bring it to the learners and make it work, then it fails.” U.S. Senator Nancy Kassebaum
And finally, a quote about training in general, delivered by one of the most successful and inspirational motivators of the 20th century.
- “The only thing worse than training your employees and having them leave, is not training them and having them stay.” Zig Ziglar, motivational speaker, trainer and author of more than two dozen motivational books.
How to Bring Online Learning to Your Workforce
Designing Digitally, Inc. is a leader in the development of Online Learning, Distance Learning and Mobile Learning technologies. We create customized learning solutions to meet the needs of today’s employees and the organizations they work for. Our eLearning solutions are designed to educate, engage and entertain workers, while achieving the training and educational goals of your organization. We work with corporations, government agencies, educational facilities and any organization with training needs. Let us know what we can do to help advance your learning and development initiatives by requesting a free quote today.